White-faced Whistling duck (Dendrocygna viduata)
- Dutch name:
- Witwang fluiteend
- English name:
- White-faced Whistling duck
- German name:
- French name:
- Dendrocygne veuf
- Scientific name:
- Dendrocygna viduata
has white face, throat and forehead, from half crown, crossing behind the eyes to the throat, forming a beautiful contrast with black head back and upper nape. A chestnut wash goes down to the front, until the bottom and the hind neck, and on upper chest. Lower chest, belly and tail are black. Flanks are finely barred with black and white waves. Upperparts are dark brown, with wings bordered with buff, and particularly scapulars. Wings are dark brown. Bill is black with pale band at tip. Eyes are dark brown. Legs are grey.
As male but smaller and a little duller.
Duller over all. Face and throat are grey or pale buff, chest is relatively dull chestnut. Chicks have dark olive-brown upperparts with large yellow patches on wings and back. Underparts are yellow. Face is streaked. Bill and legs are grey.
- Body Length (cm):
- The male (drake) of the White-faced Whistling duck measures approximately 38-48 centimeters. The female measures approximately 38-48 centimeters.
- Body Weight (grams):
- The male will weight about 455-680 gram. The female will weight about 455-680 gram.
The weight is notoriously variable and can only be used as indication!
The nest is done on the ground among the tall grass, on tree branches which are not too high, and there are reports of nesting in holes in the trees. The nest is made out of grass, no down is added.
- The female White-faced Whistling duck usually lays from 6-12 creamy white and not shiny eggs and incubates them for 26-30 days.
- Bird banding:
- Recommended leg band size for the White-faced Whistling duck is 11 mm.The leg band can only be applied on a young whistling duck at around 12 days old.
- It doesn't matter what leg that you band, but it is good to have a consistent system. Suggested: Left leg = Female, Right leg = Male
- Preferred food:
Floating full food for all sea ducks, green ducks, eider ducks and geese, especially in the moulting and breeding phase ideally suited. Packed with wholesome raw materials, natural vitamins and trace elements, this performance food with a protein content of 30% forms the basis for lifelong vitality.