Radjah Shelduck (Tadorna radjah)
- Dutch name:
- English name:
- Radjah Shelduck
- German name:
- French name:
- Tadorne radjah
- Scientific name:
- Tadorna radjah
Are mostly white, Dark back reddish to black, rump and tail. Mantel, scapulars and breast band are dark rusty. Distinctive “collar” of dark feathers.
Breast and belly are white. Upper and under wing coverts are mainly white. Flight feathers are blackish. Secondary feathers form bright green speculum, bordered with black in front, and with white stripe behind. Head and neck are white. Bill, legs and webbed feet are pink. Eyes are very pale, almost white.
Are similar. Except for the males are slightly larger and show a wider breast band.
Resembles adult, with white parts slightly washed brownish. On wings, it has more black on great coverts, and duller speculum. Bill, legs and feet are whitish-pink. Eyes are dark brown.
Radjah Shelduck is usually seen in pairs or in small groups. Pairs form long-term pair-bonds. During breeding season, male becomes very territorial, and it may attack its mate. They are strongly monogamous.
- Body Length (cm):
- The male (drake) of the Radjah Shelduck measures approximately 50-58 centimeters. The female measures approximately 50-58 centimeters.
- Body Weight (grams):
- The male will weight about 816-910 gram. The female will weight about 816-910 gram.
The weight is notoriously variable and can only be used as indication!
There are two subspecies:
- Tadorna radjah radjah - Moluccan or New Guinea (Black-Backed)
- Tadorna radjah rufitergum - Australian (Red-Backed)
- The female Radjah Shelduck usually lays from 6-12 creamy white eggs and incubates them for 28-31 days.
- Bird banding:
- Recommended closed leg band ring size for the Radjah Shelduck is 12 mm.The leg band ring can only be applied on a young shelduck at around 12-14 days old.
- It doesn't matter what leg that you band, but it's good to have a consistent system. Suggested: Left leg = Female, Right leg = Male
- Preferred food:
Lundi Regular with a protein content of 20%, valuable Spirulina and high-quality by-products is optimally balanced in its composition maintenance food for water ornamental fowl of all kinds. Especially green teal and Whistling ducks that are not dependent on a very high protein content, are well supplied.
Lundi Regular contains all the minerals and vitamins in full form that are important for the animals. Therefore also suitable as breeding food.
Floating full food for all sea ducks, green ducks, eider ducks and geese, especially in the moulting and breeding phase ideally suited. Packed with wholesome raw materials, natural vitamins and trace elements, this performance food with a protein content of 30% forms the basis for lifelong vitality.