Red shoveler (Anas platalea)
- Dutch name:
- Argentijnse slobeend
- English name:
- Red shoveler
- German name:
- French name:
- Canard spatule
- Scientific name:
- Anas platalea
The species has a spatula-shaped bill, a green speculum, and light blue upper wing converts. Male shovelers vary in color from red to paler shades of red (and pink), while the females tend to have large, dark bills.
- Body Length (cm):
- The male (drake) of the Red shoveler measures approximately 45-56 centimeters. The female measures approximately 45-56 centimeters.
- Body Weight (grams):
- The male will weight about 520–620 gram. The female will weight about 520–610 gram.
The weight is notoriously variable and can only be used as indication!
- The female Red shoveler usually lays from 6-8 crèmekleurige tot groenachtig eggs and incubates them for 25 days.
- Bird banding:
- Recommended leg band size for the Red shoveler is 9 mm.The leg band can only be applied on a young eend at around 0 days old.
- It doesn't matter what leg that you band, but it is good to have a consistent system. Suggested: Left leg = Female, Right leg = Male
- Preferred food:
Lundi Regular with a protein content of 20%, valuable Spirulina and high-quality by-products is optimally balanced in its composition maintenance food for water ornamental fowl of all kinds. Especially green teal and Whistling ducks that are not dependent on a very high protein content, are well supplied.
Lundi Regular contains all the minerals and vitamins in full form that are important for the animals. Therefore also suitable as breeding food.
Floating full food for all sea ducks, green ducks, eider ducks and geese, especially in the moulting and breeding phase ideally suited. Packed with wholesome raw materials, natural vitamins and trace elements, this performance food with a protein content of 30% forms the basis for lifelong vitality.