Paradise Shelduck (Tadorna variegata)The Paradise Shelduck (Tadorna variegata) is a shelduck from the family of water birds that includes ducks, geese, and swans (Anatidae).
- Dutch name:
- English name:
- Paradise Shelduck - New Zealand Shelduck
- German name:
- French name:
- Tadorne de paradis
- Scientific name:
- Tadorna variegata
Head and neck black, glossed green. Nearly all uderparts and upperparts sooty-black, breast, flanks and upper belly with fine grey vermiculations, mantle and scapulars finely vermiculated brown. Lower belly and undertail converts' rich chestnut; rump, uppertail-converts and tail black.Primary and secondary flight feathers are black, with green mirror on seconderies. On the underwing, the flight feathers are black, contrasting with the white coverts. Bill feet and legs dark Grey.
Head and neck pure white. Almost all the body dark reddish chestnut, with fine blackish vermiculations on mantle. Lower belly and undertail converts rich chestnut; rump, uppertail-converts and tail black. Primary and secondary flight feathers are black, with green mirror on seconderies. On the underwing, the flight feathers are black, contrasting with the white coverts.Bill feet and legs dark Grey.
Much duller and Browner, including on head; lacks green speculum, and feathers of white forewing washed rufous -brown. Gain near adult plumage after first year.
- Lengte man:
- The male (drake) of the Paradise Shelduck measures approximately 61-66 centimeters. The female measures approximately 61-66 centimeters.
- Weight male:
- The male will weight about 1405-1680 gram. The female will weight about 1405-1680 gram.
The weight is notoriously variable and can only be used as indication!
- Nest placement and structure:
Nest-site is located near water, close to their food source. It is often situated in hollow in tree. Nest materials only include down feathers.
- The female Paradise Shelduck usually lays from 7-10 eggs and incubates them for 28-31 days.
- Bird banding:
- Recommended leg band size for the Paradise Shelduck is 13 mm.The leg band can only be applied on a young shelduck at around 14 days old.
- It doesn't matter what leg that you band, but it is good to have a consistent system. Suggested: Left leg = Female, Right leg = Male
Drijvend totaalvoeder dat bijzonder geschikt is voor sierwatervogels met specifieke voedingsbehoefte zoals eiwitrijk voedsel. Door het hogere proteïnepercentage is Lundi - Premium zeer geschikt als aanvullende voeding tijdens de rui en broedperiode. Gegarandeerd vrij van conserveringsmiddelen, zoogdier-eiwitten en vetten.