Hardhead duck (Aythya australis)
- Dutch name:
- Australische witoogeend
- English name:
- Hardhead duck
- German name:
- Australische Moorente
- French name:
- Fuligule austral
- Scientific name:
- Aythya australis
Male: has a bright reddish brown plumage. The plumage is almost shiny on the head and chest. The flanks, back and tail are of a slightly darker reddish brown. The tail undercover is white and the lower abdomen is also white. The wing side is white with a narrow brown border. The beak is dark gray and has a striking gray-blue band just before the nail.
Female: The resting gown corresponds to the dress of the female. This is very similar to the male, but has an altogether duller plumage color. The beak coloring corresponds to the male, but is somewhat less noticeable overall.
Juvenile: Not yet fully grown Hardhead ducks have a similar to the female plumage. They are a bit paler overall. At the chin and throat this paler coloration is noticeable. The iris is still hazel-brown. The beak is still dark lead gray.
- Body Length (cm):
- The male (drake) of the Hardhead duck measures approximately 42-59 centimeters. The female measures approximately 39-56 centimeters.
- Body Weight (grams):
- The male will weight about 800-900 gram. The female will weight about 800-900 gram.
The weight is notoriously variable and can only be used as indication!
They make a rather deep nest bowl, covered with plant parts from the immediate environment as a base. Finally, a dark layer of down is applied before the assembly takes place around mid-April, but usually only in early May.
- The female Hardhead duck usually lays from 9-13 creamy white eggs and incubates them for 25 days.
- Bird banding:
- Recommended leg band size for the Hardhead duck is 11 mm.The leg band can only be applied on a young diving duck at around 12 days old.
- It doesn't matter what leg that you band, but it is good to have a consistent system. Suggested: Left leg = Female, Right leg = Male
- Preferred food:
Lundi Regular with a protein content of 20%, valuable Spirulina and high-quality by-products is optimally balanced in its composition maintenance food for water ornamental fowl of all kinds. Especially green teal and Whistling ducks that are not dependent on a very high protein content, are well supplied.
Lundi Regular contains all the minerals and vitamins in full form that are important for the animals. Therefore also suitable as breeding food.
Floating full food for all sea ducks, green ducks, eider ducks and geese, especially in the moulting and breeding phase ideally suited. Packed with wholesome raw materials, natural vitamins and trace elements, this performance food with a protein content of 30% forms the basis for lifelong vitality.