Hardhead duck (Aythya australis)The Hardhead duck (Aythya australis) is a diving duck from the family of water birds that includes ducks, geese, and swans (Anatidae).
- Dutch name:
- Australische witoogeend
- English name:
- Hardhead duck
- German name:
- Australische Moorente
- French name:
- Fuligule austral
- Scientific name:
- Aythya australis
Male: has a bright reddish brown plumage. The plumage is almost shiny on the head and chest. The flanks, back and tail are of a slightly darker reddish brown. The tail undercover is white and the lower abdomen is also white. The wing side is white with a narrow brown border. The beak is dark gray and has a striking gray-blue band just before the nail.
Female: The resting gown corresponds to the dress of the female. This is very similar to the male, but has an altogether duller plumage color. The beak coloring corresponds to the male, but is somewhat less noticeable overall.
Juvenile: Not yet fully grown Hardhead ducks have a similar to the female plumage. They are a bit paler overall. At the chin and throat this paler coloration is noticeable. The iris is still hazel-brown. The beak is still dark lead gray.
- Lengte man:
- The male (drake) of the Hardhead duck measures approximately 42-59 centimeters. The female measures approximately 39-56 centimeters.
- Weight male:
- The male will weight about 800-900 gram. The female will weight about 800-900 gram.
The weight is notoriously variable and can only be used as indication!
- Nest placement and structure:
They make a rather deep nest bowl, covered with plant parts from the immediate environment as a base. Finally, a dark layer of down is applied before the assembly takes place around mid-April, but usually only in early May.
- The female Hardhead duck usually lays from 9-13 creamy white eggs and incubates them for 25 days.
- Bird banding:
- Recommended leg band size for the Hardhead duck is 11 mm.The leg band can only be applied on a young diving duck at around 12 days old.
- It doesn't matter what leg that you band, but it is good to have a consistent system. Suggested: Left leg = Female, Right leg = Male
Lundi Regular contains all the minerals and vitamins that are integral for the well-being for ornamental water fowl. Thus, it is alsoperfectly suitable to feed the birds during the breeding season.
Drijvend totaalvoeder dat bijzonder geschikt is voor sierwatervogels met specifieke voedingsbehoefte zoals eiwitrijk voedsel. Door het hogere proteïnepercentage is Lundi - Premium zeer geschikt als aanvullende voeding tijdens de rui en broedperiode. Gegarandeerd vrij van conserveringsmiddelen, zoogdier-eiwitten en vetten.