Grey Teal (Anas gracilis)
- Dutch name:
- Australische taling
- English name:
- Grey teal
- German name:
- Australische Weißkehlente
- French name:
- Sarcelle australasienne
- Scientific name:
- Anas gracilis
Is almost all grey-brown. Each feather of the body is edged with buff, except on the rump. The chin and throat are white, the bill is dark green and the eye is red. The secondary wing feathers have glossy blue-black patch, broadly bordered and tipped with white. In flight, a large white wedge is visible on the underwing.
Identical to male , But smaller and less iridescent in speculum. calls are different as well.
As female, But less mottling and lighter brown tell 2nd winter males show more iridescents on speculum through first wet season.
- Body Length (cm):
- The male (drake) of the Grey Teal measures approximately 37-47 centimeters. The female measures approximately 37-47 centimeters.
- Body Weight (grams):
- The male will weight about 680 gram. The female will weight about 590 gram.
The weight is notoriously variable and can only be used as indication!
These ducks are generally good in mixed collections, although the smaller and quieter species may be bullied. Territorial disputes between ducks of the same species may be avoided by keeping only one pair of each species in an enclosure, unless the area is very large. For a single pair of ducks a pen are of 50 to 100 square metres, depending on the size of duck, should be provided.
Grey teal may be kept in mixed collection with other ducks in a large area, or maintained in a separate pen.
These ducks breed quite readily; natural close ground cover, hollow log, ground-level box or a raised box may be used for nesting.
- The female Grey Teal usually lays from 6-14 Creamy white eggs and incubates them for 28 days.
- Bird banding:
- Recommended leg band size for the Grey Teal is 9 mm.The leg band can only be applied on a young dabbling duck at around 11-12 days old.
- It doesn't matter what leg that you band, but it is good to have a consistent system. Suggested: Left leg = Female, Right leg = Male
- Preferred food:
Lundi Regular with a protein content of 20%, valuable Spirulina and high-quality by-products is optimally balanced in its composition maintenance food for water ornamental fowl of all kinds. Especially green teal and Whistling ducks that are not dependent on a very high protein content, are well supplied.
Lundi Regular contains all the minerals and vitamins in full form that are important for the animals. Therefore also suitable as breeding food.
Floating full food for all sea ducks, green ducks, eider ducks and geese, especially in the moulting and breeding phase ideally suited. Packed with wholesome raw materials, natural vitamins and trace elements, this performance food with a protein content of 30% forms the basis for lifelong vitality.