Andaman Teal (Anas albogularis)
- Dutch name:
- English name:
- Andaman Teal
- German name:
- Andamanen Weißükehlente
- French name:
- Sarcelle des Andaman
- Scientific name:
- Anas albogularis
Body, Tail dark Rufous-Brown feathers trimmed with light tan. Dark Brown crown and nape with variable amounts of white on head and throat. This can vary from a lot to small amounts around eye. With lots of white on the crown and foreneck as well. Some males can be completely white headed. Red Eye. Bill dark grey, with pinkish areas towards tip. Wings have a Gorgeous iridescent green blackish speculam bordered with white rest of wings are a grayish brown.
Body, Tail dark Rufous-Brown feathers trimmed with light tan. Sold Dark Brown crown and nape has thick to thin white eye ring. Red Eye. Bill dark grey, with pinkish areas towards tip. Wings have a Gorgeous iridescent green blackish Speculam bordered with white rest of wings are a grayish brown.
Have Less White there first year on Head. Bodies look a little duller grey then adults.
- Body Length (cm):
- The male (drake) of the Andaman Teal measures approximately 37-47 centimeters. The female measures approximately 37-47 centimeters.
- Body Weight (grams):
- The male will weight about 340-400 gram. The female will weight about 340-400 gram.
The weight is notoriously variable and can only be used as indication!
The nest is a platform of grass or reed mat 20-35 cm above water among the reeds, 20-50 cm from open water. Nesting pools were 20-50 cm deep, mainly brackish and located in coastal areas, 50-100 m from the high tide line. All these wetlands had natural or man-made bunds for collecting rainwater which reduced salinity. This species selected a nesting site based on optimum water levels and availability of food for the young.
- The female Andaman Teal usually lays from 8-10 Creamy white and not shiny eggs and incubates them for 26-28 days.
- Bird banding:
- Recommended leg band size for the Andaman Teal is 10 mm.The leg band can only be applied on a young duck at around 12 days old.
- It doesn't matter what leg that you band, but it is good to have a consistent system. Suggested: Left leg = Female, Right leg = Male
- Preferred food:
Lundi Regular with a protein content of 20%, valuable Spirulina and high-quality by-products is optimally balanced in its composition maintenance food for water ornamental fowl of all kinds. Especially green teal and Whistling ducks that are not dependent on a very high protein content, are well supplied.
Lundi Regular contains all the minerals and vitamins in full form that are important for the animals. Therefore also suitable as breeding food.